What Information Goes on a Wedding Invitation
Today on the blog I am sharing all about what exactly should go on your wedding invite. If you’re new here, HI! It's great to have you, my name is Karen and I am a Wedding Stationer and Calligrapher in Central FL. As a Wedding Stationer for couples for the past 4 years, I’ve been asked dozens of questions related to where to begin for the wording of an invitation to their big event!
So let’s break down exactly what you should consider when drafting your wedding invitation! The Invitation card should focus on the ceremony only. You’ll use separate insert cards to invite your guests to the reception and other important details of your wedding day.
Since the main invitation card is just for the ceremony, if both the reception and the ceremony are at the same place, you can simply add “reception to follow”. If however, the two events are at different locations, you will want to add the ceremony venue address to the invitation card, and then on the additional insert for the reception, specify the reception venue address. Pro Tip: This allows you to invite some guests to your ceremony only and other guests to the reception only, or both!
SUPER important components needed for the invitation are your names, date, time, and location. After that the wording is really up to you! Here’s your chance to add your own flair!
If you prefer to adhere to formal etiquette, you’ll want to follow the following format:
- Start with the hosts of the wedding… This could be “families of the couple”, bride’s parents, the couple, or whoever is paying for the wedding.
- Be sure to have your names! You’re the ones getting married after all!
- Date… your guests definitely need to know this crucial information!
- Ceremony start time… This is when the ceremony begins, guests should be seated by this time.
- Location… your guests definitely need to know where to go!
- Attire … this is optional but some choose to say “black tie optional” or “casual” whatever the style of your wedding is!
All of these suggestions are just what has been done historically. But here at fioribelle, we want your invitations to feel like you! We can make your invitations as formal or informal as you like. We want to make your invitations be the first impression your guests will see and want to do what makes you feel comfortable in terms of hosting and who you want to include. Some wording can be difficult to phrase when it comes to a deceased loved one, like a parent. We can guide you through the best way to phrase sensitive situations in a way that honors your loved one.
Separate cards you’ll need to include in your wedding invitation suite are…
- Reception card: address and time
- Wedding day details: parking, transportation, other details
- Registry information
- RSVP card or information on how to RSVP
Finally, once wording is complete, the fun begins! With selections of gorgeous colors, minimal designs, or unique accents - we work with several different styles and want your invitations to be unique to you as a couple!
Your wedding day is one of the most special days of your life and the beginning of your marriage! Your invitation sets the tone for your wedding and gives you a chance to show your creativity and style!
If you'd like to see some of our past work, check out our semi-custom collections or, if you'd like us to create a one-of-a-kind invite for your wedding day, inquire about Custom Wedding Invitations here.
PIN FOR LATER!